Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Monday, June 8: Buses, airports & planes

Today considered by itself is not too exciting: packing, sitting in a bus, standing in line in the airport, sitting around in the airport, updating my blog in the airport -- and before the end of the day, finally getting on a airplane.  But as the long-awaited first day of my epic trip it's wonderful and exciting.  I can't  believe I'm finally on my way.

Pearson has a wonderful waiting area in Terminal 3 that I've never seen before.  It's a restaurant with lots of tables and you're allowed to sit there whether you order something or not.  Each table has an ipad to play with a electric outlets for charging all your stuff.  If only I had anticipated this and packed my cell phone charger in my carry-on bag instead of my suitcase....  But I did put my laptop cord in my carry-on, so here I am online.

I don't fly very often and so I'm not jaded enough to hate airports.  There is a certain fun to being stuck in a place where I don't have any work to do.  I brought knitting and books and my ipod and laptop and I'm a happy camper.  I think I'll go buy a cup of tea when I'm done posting this :-)

Even though this isn't a very interesting day I think every blog post ought to have a picture.  So here is the Pearson International Airport Monorail:

The monorail transports people between the different terminals of the airport and also the airport hotel and maybe some other things.  I think it's pretty cool.  And it reminds me of our friend Peter, who is an engineer and a world expert in monorails.  I'm going to need to change terminals at Heathrow tomorrow and I've looked at the Heathrow web site and all they have is plain old buses, poor things.

My first plane leaves about 9:40 tonight and then I've got a two-hour layover in London and two hours on another plane and then I finally get my first glimpse of Barcelona and meet up with my wonderful sister and brother-in-law and the fun really starts.  (Spanish word for the day: cuñado means brother-in-law.)

No comments: