Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween Weather

I don't have any Tuesday classes, so I worked at home today, tucked up cozy inside our house.  I heard a bit of wind but didn't realize how bad it was until I went out around 3.  The sky was blue and fairly clear in the city, but there were darker skies over Lake Ontario and the wind was really something.  I had to drive down King Street, right along the lake, and I've never seen it like that in the 33 years I've lived in Kingston.  It's not common to see many whitecaps there, but today it looked more like the ocean, or at least a big bay, than a lake.  Great weather for today's holiday, as long as it doesn't blow the younger trick-or-treaters right off of their feet.

I stopped by the Olympic Harbour (the site of the sailing events for the Montreal Olympics in 1967) and walked over the lake.  First, past the protected part with a lot of fancy big boats in drydock:
 but then closer to the open lake:
and since a still picture really couldn't capture the scene I took a short video:



It still can't really convey the feeling of the wind and the spray, but it will give you the idea.

And on my way out, my inner geek couldn't help notice this nice boat with the name of one of my very favorite Sci-Fi TV shows on it.  Can't stop the signal!


When I got home I looked up the official Kingston weather and it said the temperature at 3 p.m. was "9 C, feels like 4" (translates to 48 F, windchill 39), winds 46 km/h (28 mph) with gusts to 61 km/h (37 mph).  Fun to experience for a little while, but I'm very content to be back in our nice cozy house now.

Happy Halloween!


No comments: