Monday, October 15, 2018

This Is My Brain On Drugs

For young ones who might not recognise the reference, "This Is Your Brain on Drugs" was the slogan for a series of anti-drug commercials from back in the 80s, suggesting that illegal drugs will scramble your brain.

While I'm waiting for treatment for the pinched nerve(s) in my back, I am taking some powerful medication (prescribed by my doctor) and it is indeed scrambling my brain.  That's one of the reasons I'm on sick leave; you wouldn't want to hear me try to teach through this haze!  Today I thought I'd share one an example of how this is affecting me.


First, I need to establish that I am an experienced and competent knitter.  Knitting has been a hobby for most of my life.  I can make socks that actually look nice and fit people's feet, and sweaters that people really do wear and enjoy, even when I'm not around.  I can even do "stranded knitting", which means juggling multiple balls of yarn of different colors to make pictures in the knitted fabric.

So when my back started acting up I thought "at least I have a hobby I love that I can do while sitting on my recliner".  And it's true; knitting has been a comfort at this time.  But it has also reinforced just how much the pills are slowing me down.


Recently I saw an item in our church bulletin about collecting things for people in the Merchant Marine.  One of the things they were looking for was knitted hats, mittens and scarves.  Apparently many people working on ships are not well-paid and are in great need of such items when they sail through cold regions of the ocean.  That sounded like a wonderful way to help others at a time when I am stuck at home and not able to do much.  Normally this sort of item is quite easy for me to knit up quickly.

Yesterday David drove me to Michaels to pick up some yarn.  I was looking for some thick yarn in order to make some warm items in a hurry, since the deadline is only a few weeks off.  Luckily they had some BIG cakes of chunky yarn at a reasonable price.
These things are huge -- more than half a pound of yarn each.  The yarn is of the "super bulky" variety, meaning you have to use big needles and you get about 3 stitches per inch.  Perfect for making nice warm stuff in a hurry.  I thought that one cake was probably enough for a hat/mittens/scarf set but decided to buy two.  And then I noticed they were having a "buy 2, get1 free" so I took home 3 cakes.  If I can't use up all three by the deadline I can make more for next year.

This was yesterday morning.  That afternoon I cast on a simple hat -- really just a tube that comes together at the top.  No complicated shaping.  And by the evening I had finished a large-sized adult hat and was feeling pretty pleased with myself:
A nice basic warm hat for someone in need to warmth.  I felt pretty good about that.

This morning right after breakfast I followed up by making a mitten:

I polished that off in just a couple of hours and was extremely pleased with myself.  Mittens are obviously more complicated in shape than hats and so they take more fiddling.  I have a favorite generic mitten pattern that tells you how to make a mitten to fit a particular hand using any kind of yarn.  This was thicker yarn than I had used before and I was aiming for a large adult male hand so I had to estimate up a little from my own hand size.  But I got it all to work and was happy with the result.  I even took careful notes so that I could make a second mitten to match the first.

I took some time off knitting and then picked up my yarn and needles in the later afternoon to make the second mitten.  Now comes the problem.  By this time of the day I've got a lot of pain medication in my system and my brain is mush.  I referred to my notes from the morning and cast on and nothing went right.  I ripped out the first attempt and tried again.  Still it didn't work and I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.  After several attempts to get more than a few inches of a mitten done without error I gave up in disgust.   After dinner I felt like knitting again but decided to start a scarf instead of trying anything more complicated.  That turned out to be a good decision.  A scarf is basically just a flat rectangle, so no shaping involved.  I chose an extremely simple stitch and got more than a foot of scarf done:
Lesson learned!  While I'm on these pain medications I need to work on simple projects in the evening and save the more interesting stuff for earlier in the day. 

Please don't misunderstand; I am very grateful for these pain pills.  Without them I was spending my time huddled up in a ball and crying with pain.  I will continue taking them faithfully until I get up to the front of the queue for treatment that can actually fix the problem.  But it is a very frustrating process.

No comments: